Every year, particularly around early summer, the RSPCA and all other animal charities become inundated with female cats living on the streets, either pregnant or desperately trying to feed and keep safe their tiny starving kittens when they are hungry and homeless themselves.
This is often down to owners of both male and female cats failing to have their pets neutered, either at all, or at a young enough age.
Females then become pregnant, and are thrown out because their owners can't deal with the situation. The luckier ones end up with us, while others remain on the streets, unwanted, and adding to the never ending, hungry, stray and feral population.
If you own a cat, male or female, it is your responsibility to have him or her neutered as soon as your Vet advises it is appropriate, and we cannot stress enough the importance of doing this.
Please don't add to the homeless crisis.
If you are on a very low wage, please contact us for help.
Neutering your cat, dog, rabbit (& other small animals inc. ferrets) has endless benefits:
- Neutering reduces the rapidly increasing, huge number of unwanted pets and strays.
- It can reduce the risk of animals being stolen for breeding.
- If a female becomes pregnant, vet fees can become very expensive and caring for both adult and young when pregnant and nursing is very time consuming and demanding. When the young are ready to be rehomed you will need to pay for vaccinating, worming and flea treatment first.
- After neutering, females do not come into season (they can bleed for up to 3 weeks and attract unwanted male attention otherwise).
- Neutering in males can reduce agressive behaviour, and the smell sometimes associated with them (esp. ferrets).
- Reduces roaming in male cats: (FACT: a male cat searching for a mate can travel up to 5 miles at a time, and that is when most of them have road traffic accidents.)
- It prevents the risk of testicular cancer in males and uterus infections in females.
- It is not true that any female needs to have a first litter.
ALL PETS READY FOR REHOMING FROM US ARE ALREADY NEUTERED, VACCINATED, WORMED AND DE-FLEAD.